A residence gap, what should I do?

If you do not submit an application for renewal of your residence permit in time, a ‘gap’ may arise between the expiration of your old residence permit and the commencement of your new residence permit. This period is called a residence gap

The occurrence of a residence gap can have major consequences for you. For example, when you want to apply for a permanent residence permit or when you want to apply for a Dutch passport. These applications often require that you have had five years of continuous residence in the Netherlands. If a residence gap arises, the IND could argue that you have not had a continuous residence of five years.

A recent ruling by the District Court of The Hague addresses the question of whether a residence gap has consequences for an application for a permanent residence permit. The court has ruled that a residence gap does not always lead to the situation that you do not qualify for a permanent residence permit.

To avoid problems with a residence gap, we recommend that you submit an application for extension of your residence permit before the expiry of your current residence permit. If you have any questions about the consequences of a residence gap, please contact mr. Flip Jansen, mr. Anjo Hekman or mr. Femke Hoppenbrouwer.